Thursday, February 25, 2010

introduction

As we continue to read about the Poisonwood Bible, I notice several centers of gravity that all the Price girls connect to. Sexism, religion, both cultures and the gardens are a few that come to mind. These ideas help me think of further concepts and questions that relate to my own questions from the beginning of the semester. I believe that the culture that the Price's become accustom to is a main center of gravity that continues to develop.
In the beginning of the Price's journey, itself, from Georgia to the Congo was engaging as a reader; as they had to give up some of their belongings just make it on the trip. As the story went further on, I realized all the little things that I take for granted in my daily life and how I would have to live and cope without it.
When the Price's eventually kind of settle in, the culture of the Congolese people still bother some of them, especially Rachel. I feel that though Rachel is the complainer out of the 4 girls, that most of us could relate to how she feels. I think most of us would agree that it is not easy to live in a foreign country, even if it is just for a week of so. Reading the Poisonwood Bible, we become familiar with two completely different cultures that practice two completely different religions as a basis for their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment