Wednesday, March 31, 2010

out with the old and in with the new: orleanna

Old:
-Obedient to Nathan
-"I remained his wife because it was the one thing I was able to do each day. My daughters would say; You see, Mother, you had no life of your own," (8)
-Didn't speak for herself
-"I would be no different from the nest one, if I hadn't paid my own little part in blood. I trod on Africa without a thought, straight from our family's divinely inspired beginning to out terrible end," (9)

New:
-Strong
-"These heavy things she dragged by herself, even though I know for a fact that two months ago she couldn't have moved them," (371)
-Has her own beliefs
-"I had to keep moving. I didn't set out to leave my husband. Anyone can see I should have, long before, but I never did know how," (383)
-"Nathan was something that happened to us, as devastating in its way as the burning roof that fell on the family Mwanza; with our fate scarred by hell and brimstone we still had to track our course. And it happened finally by the grace of hell and brimstone that I had to keep moving. I moved, and he stood still," (384)
-Takes control
-"if I only hadn't let the children out of my sight that morning," (324)\

No comments:

Post a Comment